documentation in GHC.Conc, Control.Parallel.Strategies; querying number of CPUs

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at
Tue Jul 24 04:19:18 EDT 2007

Frederik Eaton wrote:
> Hello,
> I am interested in implementing some multi-threaded algorithms in
> Haskell.
> I have run into some documentation dead-ends. The documentation in
> GHC.Conc is what I get when I search for "ghc pseq" on google, but it
> doesn't document pseq and some other functions:
> pseq
> par
> forkOnIO
> childHandler
> ensureIOManagerIsRunning
> In particular, I wonder: How is pseq different from seq?

See the current library docs:

This is what will appear in GHC 6.8, except that Control.Parallel has now
moved into the parallel package (and the online docs don't seem to reflect
this, which is strange - Ian, any ideas?).

In GHC 6.6.x you need to get pseq from GHC.Conc.  We noticed this mistake
only after the 6.6 release.

> Also, the following functions in Control.Parallel.Strategies are not
> documented, at least in Haddock:

That module has better documentation now, follow the link above.