hackageDB

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:40:52 EST 2007

> web interface to HackageDB is still fairly crude, and much is yet to be
added
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html

I'm wondering if there is any way to make the average workflow for Joe
Public a bit more streamlined.

With the current interface, here's how I would work:
Say I want to write a parser.
1) I find the Standard libs documentation by clicking the link on
haskell.org, but now I want to see what else is available.
2) I backtrack to haskell.org
3) Find and click "Applications and libraries"
4) Find and click "The Hackage database"
5) I read the introduction of interesting libraries, and if I see something
I like, I hope there's a homepage link to learn more.
6) From the homepage, I search around for a link to some Haddock docs.
7) If I find a library I want, I backtrack to hackageDB and follow the
install instructions.

Ideally, I like to somehow be able to do the following:
1) From haskell.org, I click a "Libraries" link
2) I'm presented with a few options: "Standard libraries," "Community
Packages", "Packages installed locally"
3) The "Community Packages" link should take me to a Haddock page that is a
superset of the "Standard Libraries" page.
4) When I find the library I want, I look at the upper-right corner, and hit
a link "Install."
5) I see a page telling me that I'm about to install the library locally,
and a button to continue.

After installation, I'm taken to an anchor for my new package on the
"Packages installed locally" page.  The "Packages installed locally" page
would be a Haddock page just like the "Standard libraries," but showing only
the libraries I have installed locally.

Somewhere on the "Packages installed locally," page, there is a "Save
package configuration" link to generate a Cabal package of the current
packages installed.  This cabal file could be shared with
friends/classmates/coworkers to keep everyone in sync.

Thoughts?

Is this kind of web-based, file system reflection even possible?  Maybe with
the help of an applet?

Thanks,
Greg