Proposal: Add Data.String, containing IsString(fromString), to base

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Tue Jan 30 17:14:34 EST 2007

I don't like the idea of having Eq as a superclass of IsString.
It's a gratuitous constraint.  There are perfectly good examples
where you have something being IsString, but not Eq.  In fact,
I implemented IsString just such an application.  Sure, you can't
use IsString for pattern matching quite as easily, but that's
intentional.
If I got to decide I'd get rid of all the gratuitous superclasses,
like Show and Eq for Num.  They just limit how you can use a class.

(My application is a DSEL where string literal build an abstract
syntax tree.  The only way I can use Num is to make fake instances
for Eq and Show, because those functions cannot really be implemented.)

	-- Lennart