WikiHaddock

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Wed Jan 10 00:58:09 EST 2007

Suppose Haddock's documentation language ("-- | ...") were an extended form
of a common wiki markup language, and specifically Wikimedia's, because the
Haskell wiki uses it. Instead of converting to HTML, Haddock could then pass
through most markup unchanged and make wiki links out of its current link
markup (modules & entities). Some benefits:

   - We'd all get a much richer (and extensible) markup language.
   - We'd have only a single markup language (Wikimedia's) to learn
   instead of two, and no need to convert between them manually.
   - Automatically generated links to user-comment pages would be wiki
   links, so one could tell by looking at them whether there are any comments
   already there.

Comments?

   - Conal