[Haskell] Haskell Xlib bindings

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Fri Feb 16 19:38:31 EST 2007

At Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:08:11 +0000,
Simon Marlow wrote:

> I think you misinterpreted me slightly: I didn't mean to ask "why XCB when we
> have an Xlib binding?", I'm asking "why do we need either?".  Who is going to
> use it?  Is someone planning to write a widget set in Haskell?

If you want to use OpenGL, you still need some way to open a window,
get keyboard/mouse events, etc. Some possibilities are:

 - OpenGL+SDL
 - OpenGL+GLUT
 - OpenGL+Gtk2HS
 - OpenGL+Xlib+GLX
 - OpenGL+wxWidgets(??)

So far I have liked the OpenGL+Xlib+GLX solution the best -- in part,
because it has the least number of extra dependencies. Though, it is
also the least portable, and most verbose.

Some of the applications I would like to write would have mostly
non-standard widgets. So building on top of an existing widget set
would add an extra layer of (mostly unused) indirection.

j.

ps. Some (minimal) Haskell GLX bindings and Example.hs can be found at:

http://www.n-heptane.com/nhlab/repos/haskell-glx/