[Haskell] Haskell Xlib bindings

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 17:47:59 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 15:17 +0100, Sven Panne wrote:
> [ moved to libraries list ]
>
> Am Montag, 5. Februar 2007 00:15 schrieb Duncan Coutts:
> > [...] Perhaps these days binding xcb might be the way to go for low level
> > X11 stuff.
>
> I had a look and XCB, and it looks quite promising as a "better Xlib". What is
> not so clear to me is:
>
>    * X.Org seems to use it as a basis for their Xlib implementation. Is this
> correct?

Yes. The X.org Xlib uses XCB underneath. Part of the reason for that is
so that apps can start to migrate to XCB while still using some Xlib
functions.

>    * What about XFree86?
>
>    * What about X11 implementations on *BSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc.?
>
>    * Is XCB 100% feature-complete compared to Xlib?

No and that's rather the point. Xlib contains lots of stuff that very
few apps use. XCB is more minimal.

> I guess that XCB is not widespread enough yet to drop the X11 package now, but
> I'd like to hear what others think. OTOH, a Haskell binding for XCB can
> probably be generated automatically to a large degree via XSLT, if I
> understand things correctly, which would be a big plus.

How about putting the Xlib binding into maintenance mode and moving the
focus to XCB bindings.

Duncan