UTF8 libraries

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Feb 2 22:17:21 EST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 12:40:14AM +0900, shelarcy wrote:
> Hi Alistar,
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:01:04 +0900, Alistair Bayley <alistair at abayley.org> wrote:
> > What is the state of UTF8 support in Haskell libraries (base or
> > user-contributed)? I had a need for a UTF8 en & de-coder for Takusen,
> > and after looking around couldn't find anything particularly
> > satisfactory, so ended up writing (yet another) one.
> regex-posix doesn't support UTF8. Because regex-posix uses POSIX
> regex. So this problem can't fixed by only correct UTF8 en & de-coder.

actually, conforming POSIX regular expressions work in the character
encoding of the current locale, which is very likely utf8. In fact,
personally, I would consider any system where it is still not utf8 (or
perhaps ascii, which is compatable) at this day and age to be broken.
(not that they don't exist)

John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈