Unsafe aspects of ByteString

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 08:47:54 EST 2007

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The Data.ByteString functions relating to CString have now been
> > modified as follows, in the darcs repository. These changes will be
> > propogated into base in due course.
>
> i.e. only in ghc 6.8. i use this chance to remind about our suggestion
> to remove ByteString from Base in ghc 6.6.1 and include it as
> *separate* library.

I'd like to echo this.  The Data.ByteString library is wonderful, but
its API is still changing fast.  It was definitely a mistake to include
it in the 'base' package so early.  Furthermore, users of ghc cannot
even override the 'base' version by adding "-package fps" on the
command-line.  (Well, you can, but only if your importing module does
not use any of the other 'base' package libraries.  Is that right?)

Regards,
    Malcolm