Case-insensitive formats for Data.Time.Format?

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 26 17:41:11 EST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007, at 20:15 , Bjorn Buckwalter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a compelling reason to not make the formats in
> Data.Time.Format
> case-insensitive when parsing? This would apply to the months,
> weekdays, time
> zone. (I see there are already two formats %p and %P corresponding
> (confusingly)
> to AM/PM and am/pm respectively.)
>
> What got me thinking about this is that I'm being supplied with
> dates on the
> format "26 DEC" which will not parse without munging. I suspect
> such situations
> are fairly common?

I agree. The parser should be more liberal. I originally implemented
rather faithful inverses of the formatting directives, but I don't
really see any point in being very strict when parsing.

You are welcome to submit a patch for this, or at least a feature
request in Trac to keep it from being forgotten.

> Also, is there a way to have the parser assume a century of 20 with
> the
> format %y?

No. Do you have any ideas for how this could be implemented?

You can always add 100 to the year after parsing :-)

/Björn