Data.Map, Data.IntMap documentation

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Wed Aug 15 16:52:31 EDT 2007

Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
> Ross, thanks a lot for the feedback.
> Sorry I'm late with the response.
>
> --- ross at soi.city.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> I rather liked having the complexity at the start of
>> the description:
>> it allows one to find this important information at
>> a glance.
>
> My rationale was that the complexity information,
> while  important, is probably one of the last things
> most of the people are looking for.
> I doubt anybody would e.g. search for all the O(log n)
> operations ;-)
>
> I'll keep the complexity information at the end of
> description unless there are more votes against this.

On the contrary, I have gone looking through entries solely to see their
complexity (since I already know about what the functions _do_),
especially when comparing two different collections or just looking.
They are very short and I like them being the most introductory thing,
myself.  If you know anything about what complexities the data structure
gives for various operations, it can actually suggest quite a bit about
what the operation does! (e.g., an O(log(n)) operation CANNOT be a map...)

Maybe it's because I have general data structures experience already
from other languages, but... complexity is very important to me, it is
often the first thing I want to see (it comes after the operation's name
anyway!),  O(n) lookup is almost as bad as no lookup, O(n^2) behavior,
say, with (++)s is generally fatal, worthy of being called a bug in my
program. (Practical speed observations like "IntMaps are fast even with
not so large sizes" are very important too)

Isaac