patch applied (packages/containers): Remove the rest of base to leave a "containers" package

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Aug 12 15:45:56 EDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:26:38PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> Quoting Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>:
> > Wed Aug  1 15:38:31 PDT 2007  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
> >   * Remove the rest of base to leave a "containers" package
>
> There may be a case for treating the constructor classes (in Data.Foldable
> and Data.Traversable) differently from the concrete container types
> (Data.Set et al).

OK, I've put them back in base for the time being.

> For example, to accomodate the instances for Array in
> the current setup, one of array and containers must depend on the other,
> although they are not otherwise related.

Data.Graph uses Data.Array.ST (for GHC at least), so containers depends
on array anyway. It might be possible to make this a conditional
dependency with cabal configs, but I don't know if there are other deps,
and I'm not sure why hugs doesn't use the ST version anyway.

Thanks
Ian