Good Haskell Style

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at invescoperpetual.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 03:51:01 EDT 2007

> From: libraries-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:libraries-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Isaac Dupree
>
> And prefer to indent an even number (normally an even number
> of spaces,
> but, an odd number when using birdtrack-literate-haskell '>
> foo = ...').

I moot that birdtrack-literate-haskell should be avoided, largely
because (AFAICT) it is not supported by Haddock. Section 2.1 in the
Haddock manual suggests that you can preprocess the .lhs source to make
it palatable:
  http://www.haskell.org/haddock/haddock-html-0.8/invoking.html#cpp

by saying (for example):
  ghc -E Main.lhs -o Main.hs

However, this appears to discard all lines which do not start with >,
which includes many comments (like the module header), which is not much
use to Haddock.

Currently, for many of Takusen's source files I run them through a
custom preprocessor which converts them to regular .hs files, preserving
all comments, and then feed these to Haddock.

That's not to say that the birdtrack style is not useful; it's great for
Oleg's expositional email-as-literate-source postings. However, having
used it extensively in Takusen, I'm of the opinion that we should have
started with regular .hs source.

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is