problem with unix package

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Fri Apr 20 09:12:09 EDT 2007

Thanks Pepe,

I have attached the script which I am now executing, to avoid
confusion, since it seems there were wrapped lines in your message.
(It seems to still be downloading and compiling all of ghc...?) Also,
would you (or someone else) mind answering some of the other questions
I have asked? I feel like I am in the dark - for instance what is the
relevance or irrelevance of this repository:

http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/unix/

(why can't I just install some working version of that?)

and also from my previous message:

 Also, how many other people are affected by the bug in unix? I am
 wondering why not just make another release of the package to fix
 the bug, so that the version which is provided as a .tar.gz for
 download is not buggy. Surely the release process is automated...

Is there a URL for the bug? (I was looking but haskell.org seems to be
extremely slow for me) Maybe it would be easier if I just patched my
own copy of the unix package?

Just as an observation, this is my second day of not being able to
work on my project because of this bug, which seems rather an
inefficient situation, although I'm sure there are many complicated
issues that I am not aware of. However, I am worried that if my
library ever actually has any users, then they will run into the same
stability problems, and blame me for them. I don't know what has gone
wrong. Should I not be using GHC 6.6 yet?

Thanks,

Frederik