openTempFile only defined on GHC

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 06:16:55 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> From the System.IO export list:
>
> #ifdef __GLASGOW_HASKELL__
>    openTempFile,
>    openBinaryTempFile,
> #endif
>
> So we have a standardised module with a standardised interface which
> is totally broken on all but one compiler.
>
> Can this please be either:
>
> 1) Implemented for all compilers
> 2) Removed, and then potentially re-added by the proper libraries
> submission process
>
> I hope the new libraries submission process will stop things like this
> being added in future, without appropriate thought.

Isn't it just a bug that these functions are not implemented by other compilers?
  There's no fundamental reason, right?  The implementation is necessarily
dependent on the internals of Handle because openFile doesn't currently provide
a way to open a file and fail if it already exists (the O_EXCL flag).

Cheers,
	Simon