package mounting

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at
Thu Oct 26 08:32:40 EDT 2006

Frederik Eaton <frederik at> wrote:

I too have been unconvinced that we need to change the syntax of module
imports, to incorporate package identifiers and versions.

You make a good case for an alternative mechanism, that keeps all the
package information out of the source code, and therefore increases the
chances of re-use without modifying the code.  The use of the .cabal
file to record package-mounting information seems to tie it all together
well, in a way that previous mounting proposals have not achieved.