[Haskell-cafe] Guidelines for proposing library changes

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 15:37:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 04:43:05PM +0200, Bas van Dijk wrote:
> I think it's wise to also add style guidelines/advice. The Haskell and GHC
> wikis already have a lot of material on that:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Programming_guidelines
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Category:Style

They might be reasonable as extra resources, but not as guidance on what
a patch ought to look like.  The last one is a collection of general
advice, with significant disagreements between the authors, while the
GHC conventions don't necessarily apply to libraries.  It's far more
important to follow the conventions of the code you're modifying.