[Haskell-cafe] Guidelines for proposing library changes

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 11:27:12 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 04:13:35PM +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I see you've deleted the bit about silence being taken as consent.
> > I think we need something like this, or at least a presumption that
> > the change will happen unless someone objects
>
> Sometimes silence means "This idea is so crazy and useless that I don't
> even know where to begin in rebutting it".  The lack of any positive
> response should not lead to an automatic presumption that the idea is
> OK!

Ah yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma).

But we need to find a solution, I think.  In this case we're dealing not
with an idea but working, documented code, so that should filter out most
of the craziness and fuzziness.  If someone's going to that much effort,
then someone really ought to point out what's wrong.