darcs patch: Improve Control.Monad.filterM:

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 07:14:13 EDT 2006

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> Fri Aug  4 13:49:57 CDT 2006  Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
>   * Improve Control.Monad.filterM:
>    * filterM is defined in terms of foldr, making it a good consumer in GHC's
>      fusion framework
>    * filterM uses linear stack space with respect to the number of items that
>      the predicate returns true, rather than the total number of elements in
>      the input.
> hunk ./Control/Monad.hs 151
> -filterM _ []     =  return []
> -filterM p (x:xs) =  do
> -   flg <- p x
> -   ys  <- filterM p xs
> -   return (if flg then x:ys else ys)
> +filterM p        = foldr f (return [])
> + where
> +    f x xs = do
> +                flg <- p x
> +                if flg
> +                    then xs >>= return . (x:)
> +                    else xs
> }

The new definition looks less lazy than the original, so it's not a drop-in
replacement.  Also, we would need some measurements to test whether this version
doesn't lose efficiency - it probably fuses better, but might be slower when it
doesn't fuse.  Rules to turn the foldr version back into the recursive version
might be needed (or aggressive inlining).

Cheers,
	Simon