A Pointless Library Proposal

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Oct 23 17:11:55 EDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:26:33PM +0100, Conor McBride wrote:
> This seems like the ideal time to make a wannabe library proposal which
> is pointless, but pointless by design. The code's quite short:

so, just to clarify, is what you are proposing is a type whose only
inhabitant is _|_, and since _|_ inhabits all types, we should be able
to freely cast this bottom-only-containing type to any other?

Sounds good to me. I can't think of a use off the top of my head, but I
ended up using Identity all over the place... and this sounds like just
the random sort of thing I will find odd uses for. :)

but since 'Zero' is often used in type arithmetic implementations (even
though those uses arn't entirely incompatable) I think we should name it
something else. I think

data Bottom

is waht I would like.

        John