Data.List.join

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 22 11:16:28 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-22 at 18:11+0400 Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Jon,
>
> Sunday, October 22, 2006, 4:18:27 PM, you wrote:
>
> > intercalate, surely?
>
> > Since there's already a word that means almost exactly what
> > we want, why not use it?
>
> it's a rare word that is unknown for english-guests like me

В противоположность "Monad" например?

(Apologies for what is probably appalling grammar!) More
seriously, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if
giving names to things that have such a short expression as
“((concat .) . intersperse)” might not be counterproductive.

Whatever we call it, even if it's a word in an English
dictionary, it's meaning in Haskell becomes an additional
learning burden on a programmer who whishes to understand
programmes that use it. “(concat.).intersperse” might cause
some head scratching at first, but everything involved is
something that the programmer will have to learn anyway, and
if its use is frequent, it will become idiomatic.

 Jón

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk