base libraries

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at
Sat Nov 25 07:06:09 EST 2006

Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:34:21AM +0100, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> >
> > Pathnames are short strings.  No need to optimize for performance,
> > instead optimize for clarity.
> There have been times in darcs where the performance of path names was
> an issue.

Let me guess:  Lots of (++) used in a left associative way compounded by
lots of init, last and (reverse . dropWhile p . reverse)?

If so, that's easily avoided by giving pathnames a structure.  Lists
have too little structure and operations are cheap at the wrong end.

    If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
    across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.