Cabal 1.1.4 + Haddock 0.7 + GADT = Headache

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at
Mon May 29 11:57:37 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 09:51 -0400, Robert Dockins wrote:

> >> Is there any way to fix this problem?
> >
> > #ifndef __HADDOCK__
> > [GADTs here]
> > #endif
> Ahh! A simple solution!  This is better than I dared hope.  Many thanks.
> *crawls back into his cave, embarrassed by the simplicity of the
> solution...*

It is rather a pain that so many people have to use this hack.

Fortunately there is hope for a better solution. David Waern is working
on a project (with Simon Marolow as mentor) as part of the Google Summer
of Code programme to teach GHC about the Haddock documentation markup
and then make Haddock use the GHC API to get at the information. That
way Haddock will be able to parse any file that GHC can. As an extra
bonus this should allow apps like GHCi and IDEs to get at documentation

So, good luck on the project David!