xml in fptools?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri May 26 11:15:58 EDT 2006

Robert Dockins wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 6:52 AM, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> Duncan Coutts wrote:

>>> Assuming we do have imprecise exceptions what is wrong with lazy IO?
>>

>> I'm not even certain that lazy I/O doesn't upset referential
>> transparency.  It seems hard to construct a concrete counter  example
>> though.  My intuition is something like this: if evaluating  a thunk
>> can cause IO to take place, then the act of evaluating that  thunk
>> might affect the value of another lazy I/O computation, and  hence it
>> should be possible to get different results by evaluating  the thunks
>> in a different order.  I'm concerned that in the  presence of
>> dependencies between lazy I/O computations, the order  of evaluation
>> might be visible.
>
> I'm personally with you on this one.  However, I think it is mostly
> just a problem with current state-of-the-art filesysems.  We could
> solve this problem with a filesystem that models files as persistent
> data structures (on-disk ropes maybe?).  Then "writing" to a file  just
> creates a new version of the persistent datastructure and  updates the
> "name table" to point to the newest version; in fact,  updating the name
> would be optional!  I can think of a couple of use  cases for modifying
> on-disk files and keeping them private to my  process.  Doing "lazy I/O"
> on a file just means keeping a reference  to a particular version of the
> datastructure instead of getting the  latest one from the name table.
> Obviously, there's some issues with  garbage collecting unreferenced
> file versions, but I don't think the  issues are any more complicated
> than for a journaling FS (caveat: I'm  not at all a filesystem guru; I
> could be wrong).  Actually, the more  I think about it, the more I like
> this idea...

Haskell prevents you from opening a file for writing while you already
have it open for reading (even if the reading is being done lazily).
This is an oft-forgotten part of the Haskell I/O library specification,
perhaps because only GHC implements it (and even GHC doesn't implement
it on all platforms).

But in principle I agree, we would like to think of hGetContents as
pulling lazilly from an immutable array of bytes, and if that were the
case then there would be no problem.

Cheers,
	Simon