xml in fptools?

Lemmih lemmih at gmail.com
Mon May 15 01:17:10 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Isaac Jones <ijones at syntaxpolice.org> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm wondering if we've ever discussed putting an XML parser into
> fptools.  I'm asking because cabal-install would like to use xml-rpc,
> but it drags in a bunch of dependencies that aren't in fptools.
>
> What do other languages do:
>  * Python seems to have XML and XML-RPC as standard libraries
>  * Same with ruby
>  * Not java (shocking): http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/
>
> I guess that HaXml probably can't get into fptools because of license
> incompatibilities, but hxml and HXmlToolbox both have MIT licenses,
> and so could probably be put into fptools:
>
> http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/hxml/
> http://www.fh-wedel.de/~si/HXmlToolbox/
>
> What do others think?

XML and xml-rpc are the wrong tools for cabal-install, IMO. Picking a
tool that isn't suited for the task will not result in anything good,
no matter how common and popular that tool happens to be. I only chose
xml-rpc because it was easily available, and it resulted in several
dirty hacks. Please, lets avoid enterprise, XML and managers in suits;
The /right/ tools are out there.
End of way too emotional rant.

--
Friendly,