Non-exhaustive pattern in Socket.hsc

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Wed May 3 08:39:48 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:01:46PM +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> > On 02.05 13:05, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> >>   openTCP4 :: IP4Address -> Word16 -> IO (TCPConnection IP4Address)
> >>     -- or use classes
>
> > This is going to be painfull for applications that want to support
> > multiple protocols. Why should most applications care whether
> > it is an IPv4 or an IPv6 address if everything just works?
>
> type classes?
>
> (it's universal answer, after all :) )

How many functions would benefit from increased type-safety?
I only see getsockname and getpeername... Not much benefit for
the added burden.

For applications dealing with many simultaneous connections
on different protocols you would probably resort to an existential
wrapper that would hide the type of protocol. It would make
more sense if Haskell's support for existential types was more
standard, lightweight and straightforward.

Best regards
Tomasz