Text.ParserCombinators.* is a bad name

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Thu Mar 9 06:17:30 EST 2006

And I step into the minefield: I need to name my Text.* module...

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> * Firstly, a library naming issue. Text.ParserCombinators feels like a
> clunkey name. This week I was working on a set of regex combinators,
> that ideally would go under:
>
>     Text.Combinators.Regex

Not coincidentally, I have my own regex module that I need to name.  This is the
one that I mentioned a few days ago that uses Parsec to replace Text.Regex (it
currently matches Text.Regex on all the tests I have collected).  The most
interesting thing about my new library is that it is lazy.

And now Donald and I both need part of the Text*Regex* namespace.

So I could name the module path using some combination of relevant adjectives
"Parser,Parsec,Lazy,Native,Faster,Replacement"

Perhaps:

Text.Regex.Parsec
Text.Regex.Lazy

This is where java's namespace is so brilliant.  I could have used reverse-dns:

Com.MightyReason.Haskell.Text.Regex

So how should Donald and I avoid a namespace collision?

--
Chris