a proposal regarding libraries - loading libs from web on demand?

Isto Aho isto.aho at dnainternet.net
Fri Mar 3 14:47:51 EST 2006

Henning Thielemann wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Isto Aho wrote:
>

>>There are some systems (could be called interpreters) where the new
>>compiling machine had internet connections?  Something like
>>        import Directory version 4.7.3
>>and somewhere the address of the repository?
>>

>>This sounds like
>> http://www.haskell.org/tmrwiki/EternalCompatibilityInTheory

Thanks for showing this!  I think that R and Perl have systems
that work well enough.  Something like
containing a base system, some libs are considered "base libs"
and then there are about zillion different libraries. Many libs do
overlap somehow, some are poorly maintained but anyhow
most of the stuff can be reached from a central repository (or
from its mirror).  The "base libs" grow in time, may making some
other libs obsolete.  (Ok, I should read the docs etc but does
Cabal do this?)

br, Isto