cabal-setup

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 3 11:44:02 EST 2006

Following discussions a while back:

   http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2006-January/004815.html

there was some concensus (although not unanimous) that Cabal's user
interface should be a wrapper program that runs Setup.hs.  I've
implemented a first cut at this, see the attached Cabal patch.  It
addresses this ticket:

   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/63

I'm sending it here rather than committing directly, because I imagine
there will be some discussion about whether this is the right thing.
I'm pretty convinced this is the right way to go: it solves the Cabal
versioning problem, and it frees the programmer from having to write a
boilerplate Setup.hs file.  It's a step on the way to supporting
building of multiple packages.

Look at the patch, tell me what you think.  You'll need a completely
up-to-date Cabal from darcs to build it.

Cheers,
	Simon