a proposal regarding libraries

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:26:52 EST 2006

On 3/3/06, Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Josef Svenningsson wrote:
>
> > But it will probably do us good to allow for some hackish libraries.
> > They can always be improved upon later.
>
> How can you improve the API later without breaking code that relies on it?

You can't. You have to brake the code. Which is not that big a deal. The old
version of the library doesn't disappear off the face of the earth just
because there is a new version. I agree that backwards compatibility is a
good thing but it is not as important as some people make it. Constructive
destruction is needed sometimes if we want to make progress.

/Josef