AVL trees for Data.Map and Data.Set

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Mar 2 17:10:17 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:13:11PM +0000, Adrian Hey wrote:
> I think what we should be aiming for in the long term is
> automatically derived Generalised Tries (as discussed
> recently).

Would it be possible to mock up an implementation of this using
Data.Generics by chance? so we can use a generalized tree for anything
in Data and Ord? I find the idea of a derived generalized trie quite
intriguing. would associated types be the best way to express such a
thing (so you can use 'Trie a' everywhere as a type rather than some
complicated class predicate).

<noise>
once get get derived generalized tries, I want to try derived
generalized huffman (arithmetic?) encoding, derived generalized LZ*, and
a derived generalized efficient 'diff' algorithm...
</noise>

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈