HDBC-ODBC compile problem

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 17 13:58:30 EDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:

> Robert Dockins <robdockins <at> fastmail.fm> writes:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem compiling a HDBC-ODBC on Windows.  I'm not sure
>> if the problem is with hdbc-odbc or with the Windows GHC package or
>> if I've done something stupid or what.  Windows is not my native
>> habitat, so forgive me if I've left out something obvious.
>>
>> I'm using a Cygwin shell, but I don't think that matters.  As far as
>> I can tell, the GHC package contains all the mingw stuff it needs.
>> I'm using the GHC 6.4.2 package from http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>> download_ghc_642.html on a pretty standard Windows XP setup.
>>
>> The compile is failing during preprocessing:  it looks like hsc2hs
>> isn't finding something.  It generates a bunch of syntax errors for
>> basic types like ULONG, etc.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
>>
>> Here is the output from the attempted compile session:
> [snip compiler output]
>
> I'm having the exact same build error on ghc-6.5 (visual haskell
> actually) on
> windows.  I have no clue how to proceed which makes me sad because
> I was really
> looking forward to using HDBC.  Maybe someone knows a work around?
>
> I'm not on this list, yet, (sending this via gmane) so if you could
> CC to me
> that would be great.

I got a resolution to this problem on a different mailing list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org/
msg10063.html

I've attached a patch that makes it work for me.  It's not cross-
platform happy, but it makes the Windows compile work.  Darcs "get"
from http://darcs.complete.org/hdbc-odbc/ and apply the patch.