[Haskell] base libraries

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Fri Dec 1 07:28:31 EST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 30. November 2006 18:10 schrieb Malcolm Wallace:
> [...]
> Right.  And one of the explicit goals of Cabal was to provide enough
> infrastructure on the Haskell side to make it easy for rpm/apt/smart
> builders to do their job.
> [...]
> Cabal-get and hackage do go a bit beyond that, but they are intended for
> those who do not live in an OS-package managed universe (or who don't
> want to). [...]

OK, that makes sense. Just to test if I understood things correctly:

   * For a package building RPMs, only Cabal is relevant and it is used
from .spec files to (un-)register Haskell packages.

   * Resolving dependencies, upgrading, etc. is done as usual in the RPM
world, the .cabal files are just a hint for writing the .spec files.

   * For a package builder, Hackage will make it easier to find the latest and
greatest packages in source, but apart from that it is of no use/only a
convenient "one-stop-shop".

   * Joe User on an RPM-based system will never invoke Cabal and will never
use Hackage.

The same holds for other packaging systems, of course.

Cheers,
   S.