Packages in GHC 6.6

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Aug 22 14:30:34 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow wrote:
 > Here is what I propose to do regarding the libraries we ship with GHC
 > 6.6.  Comments are appreciated, since we need to finalise this story
 > before the release candidate at the end of this week.

I have a small comment...

 > So here's what I propose:
 >
 >  - A "GHC source tree" will contain a core set of packages.  This is
 >    what you will get if you download ghc-6.6-src.tar.bz2, or do
 >    "sh darcs-all get" in a darcs repo.  The core packages are:
 >
 >       base, haskell98, template-haskell, readline, stm,       Cabal, unix, Win32
 >       plus hopefully regex-base and regex-posix if I integrate them this
 >    week.  These are the packages required to bootstrap GHC, or those
 >    with deep GHC dependencies (template-haskell & stm).

You will also want regex-compat if you want to keep the old Text.Regex module
API.  (Renaming Text.Regex.New to Text.Regex)

I have just gone over the stable repository [1] for regex-base,posix,compat and
tweaked the cabal files to better match the packages they actually depend upon.
  The latest version of these is now 0.71

But I suspect you don't use cabal to build these for GHC.

The posix c library is slow, but at least it is what people have been using.
Note that Text.Regex.New from regex-compat is so close to Text.Regex that it
shares the same "bugs", such as splitting or substituting with a pattern that
matches an empty string and going into an infinite loop.

Should I sacrifice a little backwards compatibility and catch these "bugs"?

--
Chris

[1] http://evenmere.org/~chrisk/trl/stable/
[2] http://evenmere.org/~chrisk/trl/head/