Non-exhaustive pattern in Socket.hsc

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 29 08:34:55 EDT 2006

I'm getting

[root at tility pcap]# ./test
test: Socket.hsc:(1434,17)-(1523,20): Non-exhaustive patterns in case

The problem is caused because pcap_findalldevs is returning an address family
value of 17

#define PF_PACKET       17      /* Packet family.  */

#define AF_PACKET       PF_PACKET

and the ghc Family datatype doesn't support it :-(

data Family
  = AF_UNSPEC
    | AF_UNIX
    | AF_INET
    | AF_INET6
    | AF_SNA
    | AF_DECnet
    | AF_APPLETALK
    | AF_ROUTE
    | AF_X25
    | AF_AX25
    | AF_IPX
        -- Imported from Network.Socket

*Main> map packFamily
[AF_UNSPEC,AF_UNIX,AF_INET,AF_INET6,AF_SNA,AF_DECnet,AF_APPLETALK,AF_ROUTE,AF_X25,AF_AX25,AF_IPX]
[0,1,2,10,22,12,5,16,9,3,4]

I think I have two choices:

1. Amend ghc. I haven't built ghc for a long time. Would I have to build the
whole of ghc? I presume I would have to because of dependencies.

2. Use Network.Alt since
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/ekarttun/network-alt/doc/Network.Alt.Types.html
defines

type Family = Int

Any advice? What is the long term plan for Network anyway?

Thanks, Dominic.