[Announce] CabalFind 0.1

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:44:41 EDT 2005

Some time ago, I expressed an idea that certain search engines may be
used to collect information about existing .cabal packages whose
developers made them indexable by those engines.

Finally, I have written an experimental library, CabalFind.

The library provides a generalized interface to search engines, and also
sample implementations for Google and Yahoo*

I haven't set it up as a separate project, say, on SourceForge because I
am not sure whether it is feasible to do so. Instead, I am suggesting
that the developers of Haskell Library Infrastructure decide whether
this library may serve as a basis for some library infrastructure maintenance
utilities.

The library may be downloaded at

darcs get http://www.golubovsky.org/repos/cabalfind/

or http://www.golubovsky.org/repos/cabalfind/cabalfind.tar.gz

The .cabal file for the package is tailored for GHC 6.2.2. For use with
6.4, changes may be necessary, as the XML Toolbox for 6.4 no longer
includes the HTTP module, so HTTP.cabal needs to be included in
build-depends.

More information provided at http://haskell.org/hawiki/CabalFind

Any feedback is appreciated.

------
* Only these two search engines are found to be able to search by URI
suffix (.cabal in our case); without this feature package search becomes
very inefficient.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web