dumb cabal question

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Mon Sep 5 04:06:37 EDT 2005

To clarify: Maybe I should have pointed out more explicitly in this
message that I *do* understand that Hugs is an interpreter, and
doesn't produce object files, or compiled packages. I understand how
Cabal works with GHC and Hugs. My question, why a build system is
needed to abstract away their differences, has yet to be addressed. It
could be that the answer is simply that it was thought that the
current way of doing things would just be more convenient, but in any
case I think the question should be addressed and not evaded.

A build system is something that manages dependencies between and
schedules the execution of commands. I see no reason why all Haskell
compilers and interpreters could not be given an standard interface
which (1) provides a way to find dependencies of sources (2) provides
a way to execute all the necessary commands supported by Cabal, so
that any build system could be used with any compiler to build any
Haskell code, and do what Cabal does now.

Furthermore, I would like to point out that this issue may have much
greater importance in Haskell than in other languages, due to the fact
that it is hard to imagine a standard Haskell ABI. In C, one can
compile ELF libraries with different compilers (I think) and still use
them in the same application - this is the layer where the
standardization exists. Haskell, on the other hand, needs to have
library and executable compiled with the same compiler, or interpreted
with the same interpreter. It is good of the Cabal people to recognize
this need and address it, but I'm inclined to think that a
light-weight compiler interface would be more appropriate as a
standard, than one which is tightly coupled with a build system. Note
that I'm not suggesting Cabal be abandoned - it would be possible to
develop a compiler interface standard, and modify Cabal to use it.
Cabal would become much simpler; conforming to the standard would
become the task of individual compiler developers.

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/