[Haskell] Read Instances for Data.Map and Data.Set

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Oct 21 19:26:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:40:39PM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>
> > Johannes Waldmann <waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> writes:
> >
> > > Yes, I think hiding identifiers is bad style as well.
> > > This only comes up because we're too lazy to write out qualified names.
> >
> > Well, perhaps.  But consider
> >
> >     module Some.Very.Long.Module.Name where
> >     import Prelude hiding (map)
> >     map = ...
> >     foo = ...... map ....
> >
> > Now, do I really want to be forced to write
> >     Some.Very.Long.Module.Name.map
> > on the right-hand-side of the defn of foo?
> > There is no easy way currently for me to create a
> > short synonym for the defining module name.  e.g.
> >
> >     import Some.Very.Long.Module.Name as Local
>
> I'd prefer such self-imports if they wouldn't need so much effort.

me too. I have requested it on the list before. they should be
straightforward to add, the recursive module namespace rules are not
very complicated at all and just allowing self-import doesn't involve
anything but tweaking the renamer a bit and a fast fixpoint iteration.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈