Controlled anarchy, was Re: Data.* collections maintenance

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 21 16:12:15 EDT 2005

Daan Leijen wrote:

> Maybe we should think about
> how patches could be easily contributed -- should we move over to darcs
> for the standard library code? Together with clear instructions on how
> to send in patches? -- maybe even allow everyone to just commit...

I have some experience (as the person whose butt was on the line for the
results) with 'allow everyone to commit' on a large (commercial) library
(10^6 LOC of high-level code) and ~40 developers, with 15 full-time and
the rest university researchers.

Our approach was (is still) to have a HUGE automated test suite, and
have it properly instrumented.  In other words, each test case is a pair
(test, dependencies)
where dependencies records *everything* needed during the run of that test.

This allows two things:
1) patchers can run
testall -opens file1.hs -opens file2.hs
and make sure that everything they've done seems to work (locally)
2) a central repository can (automatically!)
a) accept a patch, 'install' it on a copy of local stable version
b) run
testall -opens file1.hs -opens file2.hs
on all the patched files
c) accept the patch into the next stable system if _everything_ was
fine, reject it otherwise (with an email to the author with the failures
encountered)
d) additionally, a nightly run of the complete suite is also required to
catch failures due to 'new' dependencies

This level of automation is needed when you have a lot of people working
all at once - humans can't keep up.  This also means that there is
always a stable system available.  Or as stable as the quality of the
test suite.

This makes it a first-check-in system, where a person who checks in
something that works in isolation but breaks on the 'latest' stable
system the one responsible to figure out why.  The actual system is more
sophisticated in that it also tracks resource usage (time, memory) for
each test and reports on wide variations of those too.  These are not
currently reasons for automatic rejection, though I would make it so.  I
would also add an automatic check that 'new' functionality comes with
new automated tests as well, else it would be rejected (automatically).

The 'dependencies' list serves two purposes:
1) tell the patcher how wide an effect their changes has the potential
to be, by the size of the test suite it pulls in
2) lower the load on the central machine, as full test suite usually
take hours to run (if they are a decent size).

The above system has successfully been used in a distributed environment
for about 7 years now, and seems to be a good balance between total
anarchy and central control.  Once the developers are trained to always
write automated tests, the system can grow very quickly without either
being in a broken state or in a 'waiting for review' state all the time.

I would strongly recommend against 'allow everyone to just commit'
without the presence of a large automated test suite which is used to
(automatically) reject code that breaks a test.

Jacques