[Haskell] Read Instances for Data.Map and Data.Set

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 06:34:41 EDT 2005

Johannes Waldmann <waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> writes:

> Yes, I think hiding identifiers is bad style as well.
> This only comes up because we're too lazy to write out qualified names.

Well, perhaps.  But consider

    module Some.Very.Long.Module.Name where
    import Prelude hiding (map)
    map = ...
    foo = ...... map ....

Now, do I really want to be forced to write
    Some.Very.Long.Module.Name.map
on the right-hand-side of the defn of foo?
There is no easy way currently for me to create a
short synonym for the defining module name.  e.g.

    import Some.Very.Long.Module.Name as Local

At least, such a recursive module import would be
possible, but tricky to set up and maintain when the
module changes over time.

Regards,
    Malcolm