[Haskell] Read Instances for Data.Map and Data.Set

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 06:12:36 EDT 2005

Christian Maeder <maeder at tzi.de> writes:

> Who feels responsible for including something into Data.Set and Data.Map
> (recently I've proposed a change for Set.intersection and others also
> made suggestions)?

I checked in a Read instance for Data.Set a few weeks ago, when I
needed one.  An addition like this is rather obvious, so I doubt it
needs any discussion.  For other changes (like Set.intersection),
some discussion might be desirable, but the best proposal is an
implemented one, which others can then improve.

Btw, I didn't add a Read instance for Data.Map.

> > import GHC.Read
>
> This module isn't even listed under
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/index.html

As it should not be.  It is compiler-specific.  The hierarchical
libraries are supposed to be portable.

Regards,
    Malcolm