Announcement of work in progress: Shaskell sha2 library

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 16:11:45 EST 2005

David,

The Haskell Cryptographic Library consists of contributions from different
authors which I have wrapped to give a uniform API, written a test suite and
darcsized and cabalized. But caveat emptor! I am happy to incorporate new
contributions.

A different approach would be to provide an interface to openssl and Peter
Simons has already done something along these lines, see
http://cryp.to/hopenssl/. The latest version of openssl supports SHA-256 for
example. From an industrial strength point of view, this is probably the way
to go.

Peter had a view that all "crypto" algorithms (I include hashes here) should
have monadic versions- see below - even though they are all pure. Neither he
nor I got round to doing anything about this.

I'm not a lawyer but do hash functions count as encryption? There are no keys
and you can't recover the data. And haven't the regulations been relaxed
recently? Lots of publicly available packages offer SHA-256.

Dominic.