ANN: network-alt 0.3 and hsgnutls 0.2.1

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 02:16:02 EST 2005

On 11/7/05, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:
> > This brings the question on whether they would be native or
> > big endian -
>
> This should be unambiguous. For instance, in the address 127.0.0.1, 127
> is the high Word8 of the Word32.

I vote for this. Having Haskell values in Network order is awkward,
especially if you can't treat them as opaque. For example, my
DNS library would be pure Haskell, if I didn't have to import htonl
and friends.

The extra htonl's on network operations shouldn't cost too much,
and we have type-system to ensure that the conversion is done
consistently.

> > Does it make sense to have the address type in there?
> > Most of the time high level applications should not
> > care whether the socket is IPv4 or IPv6 (or something
> > entirely else).

Sometimes applications exchange host addresses between
themselves, consider a distributed system like DNS or
a peer-to-peer network.

Best regards
Tomasz