RFC: general sequences

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 24 06:38:34 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:23 +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> writes:
>

> Also, there was debate at the time of the Haskell'98 committee about
> whether the list operations with an Int argument would be better
> taking an Integer.  I believe the consensus was positive towards
> unbounded Integer, but it was important for the standard to be
> backwards compatible, so Int remained.  However, with a new library,
> you have the opportunity to get it right from the start.

There is also the argument that an Int is always big enough to be used
as an index into a data structure that can fit in memory. This also
applies to 64 bit machines because the Int just gets bigger. And so the
argument goes, if Int is sufficient then there is the performance
advantage of simple machine integers.

Duncan