Short GPG HOWTO and Re: hackage, cabal-get, and security

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Tue May 17 15:08:13 EDT 2005

> Presumably for SSL you either need to:
>
> - Buy an expensive certificate from a known CA (maybe there are free /
>  cheap ones?)

InstantSSL sells certs for $50/year.  You may be able to find it even
cheaper elsewhere.

> - Trust any old certificate that comes along

You can also trust a finite set of certificates that you have
personally verified (just like personally verifying GPG keys).

> - Build a web of trust for signing certificates, just the same as for
>  gpg.  Is there a way to do this?  GPG has built-in ways to do this,
>  does SSL?

Yes.  Most SSL installations have ways of adding root certs, certs for
entities that you trust to sign other certs. e.g. we can make
haskell.org a root cert.

Look, cryptographically GPG and SSL are very similar.  With either
one, if you trust long chains of signings, you are at risk that any
intervening key has been compromised.  So, in practice, you rely on a
set of root certs/signers you trust to
  * put some effort into verifying the mapping from a key to an identity,
  * maintain their private keys sufficiently securely that you can
    trust it for long periods of time, and
  * notify you when keys they have signed have been compromised.

Whether you use GPG or SSL, operation of this key certification and
revocation service has real costs.  We can choose an identity model
for the Haskell community that reduced these costs, but that is
orthogonal to whether we use SSL or GPG.

The real differentiator between SSL and GPG is that the former is
transport level while the later is file level.  With SSL, I think you
suffer additional complexity each time you set up a web server.  With
GPG, you suffer additional complexity each time you create a new file
to share.  I think most people create many more files to share than
they set up web servers to serve them so I prefer the SSL model.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com