SearchPath

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Tue May 17 12:44:42 EDT 2005

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex at alexjacobson.com> writes:

(snip)
> Right now SearchPath only supports module directory base URLs in map
> files.  I'd love for it to support automatic download and build for
> Cabal file and package URLs as well. I just don't know how to do
> it. Perhaps you guys can help on this?

You'd just need a way to map module names to package names / versions.
One thing you could do is add that kind of lookup to hackage's XML-RPC
interface, shouldn't be too hard.  Then you can query hackage "what
package does this module belong to?"; it'll return a list of package
identifiers (meaning package names / versions) and you' could pick
among them, download, unpack, and install.

I'd be fine with adding this to the xml-rpc interface if you want.
Hopefully Lemmih will speak up if he thinks that's a really bad idea.

Hackage can be gotten here:
darcs get http://www.scannedinavian.org/~lemmih/hackage/

with dependencies here:
http://www.scannedinavian.org/~lemmih/packages/