[Haskell] Haddock Problem

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon May 16 05:47:08 EDT 2005

On 14 May 2005 12:40, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 13:05 +0100, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
>> Can someone point out what I am doing wrong?
>> Thanks, Dominic.
>> [dom at tility Codec]$ haddock Codec/Utils.hs
>> Warning: Codec.Utils: the following names could not be resolved:
>>     Integral Word8 Int
> I don't believe that Haddock will download from a URL.
> Try downlading the base.haddock file first:
> $ haddock Codec/Utils.hs --read-interface=base.haddock
> In this case it would be better if Haddock gave you an error about
> there being no such (local) file as "http://www.haskell.org/g...",
> rather than ignoring it. I'd call this a user interface bug.

Dominic was using it correctly - the syntax for --read-interface is

where U is a url, and F is the path to the .haddock file.  If you name a
non-existent file, Haddock does indeed complain.

Dominic: are you using Haddock 0.7?  The interfaces shipped with GHC
were generated by 0.7, which has a new interface format.  Unfortunately
I haven't got around to actually releasing 0.7 yet, but the sources are
in CVS.