Extending Cabal

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri May 13 03:23:18 EDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Meacham wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:34:06PM +0100, Henrik Nilsson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Simon Marlow wrote:
> >
> > > It's a trivial change to make, it doesn't break anything, and it lets
> > > us support more existing projects without substantial reorganisation
> > > of their file structure.  Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
> >
> > I've never liked the close de-facto connection between the hierarchical
> > module name space and and the actual source tree.

I don't see the advantage of giving every programmer his own style in this
respect, or even allow mixing dotted file names and separation by
directories. When I read
 import Control.Monad.Writer
  I know that the file Writer.hs is in Control/Monad, very easy. What's so
bad about using directories? Bad support by CVS? Then use darcs.
Separating module names and file locations adds a new level of complexity
but for what benefit?