cabal: library archive index and Mac OS X?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 05:53:20 EST 2005

> > Can't you run ranlib after install?  It wouldn't be right for GHC to run
> > ranlib, because the libraries might not be writable by the current user.
>
> I don't see any problems with this.  Anyone else see a problem?  I'm
> guessing that's what most systems do.

nhc98 gets round the problem in a slightly different way: at
installation time, just copy the .a archives preserving their
datestamps.  I use
    tar cf - libFoo.a | ( cd $DEST; tar xf - )
but a simpler
    cp -p libFoo.a $DEST
would probably work as well, if tar is not available on the end
machine.

Remember you must still have run ranlib previously at /build/
time however.

Regards,
    Malcolm