The FunctorM library

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:11:48 EST 2005

Hello,
I was just looking at the FunctorM library that was recently added.
I have a few comments:
* Why is this library under "Data" and the rest of the monadic stuff
is under "Control"
(Related to this, what does the Reader monad have to do with Control?)
* A better name for this might be "forEach".  This is what I added to
the Prelude of my monad library:

-- | Apply a monadic function to each element in a container.
-- In theory speak, this is a class that identifies functors which
-- distribute over all monads.
class ForEach f where
  forEach          :: Monad m => f a -> (a -> m b) -> m (f b)

instance ForEach [] where
  forEach xs f      = mapM f xs

instance ForEach Maybe where
  forEach Nothing f   = return Nothing
  forEach (Just x) f  = Just # f x

forEach_           :: (Monad m, ForEach f) => f a -> (a -> m b) -> m ()
forEach_ xs f       = forEach xs f >> return ()

-Iavor