[Haskell] Hierarchical module namespace extension not sufficiently flexible

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 06:14:37 EST 2005

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 22:15 +0100, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:03:38 +0000, Duncan Coutts > module Graphics.UI.Gtk
> > (
> > >   qualified module Graphics.UI.Gtk.Button as Button,
> >
> > I like this idea a lot!
>
> Great. We "just" have to persuade other people around here of the same,
> in particular compiler implementors and the authors of the Hierarchical
> Modules Addenda.

Well, as an author of the Hierarchical Modules addendum, and as a
compiler maintainer, I am already reasonably convinced of the utility
of this suggestion.  It does significantly alter the semantics
of import/export, in a way that the original Hierarchical Modules
addendum does not, but as Iavor pointed out, this is not necessarily
a bad thing.

What we now need is a precise definition.  After that, contributions
of code to implement it would also be welcome.  :-)

Regards,
    Malcolm